The Departure

Getting Beck (the car) finally packed with all of the things* we'd prepared for the trip was a relief. The night before, everything was laid out, laundry was finished, outfits ziplocked together, I felt physically and emotionally prepared. My subconscious wasn't as sure. I woke up a couple of times in the night, each time thinking it was time to go. During the 4am wake-up, I looked out the windows of the room I'd called home for the better part of six weeks and saw an amazing array of stars. The clouds had lifted and the heavens were putting on a show. I took a mental picture, because night sky photos rarely show anything on my camera, and nudged myself back into bed for another couple hours to dream about the magnificent star shows I would see in darker night skies along the journey.

In the morning, the last bags went up in the carrier. Piper's food got put in the car. The refrigerator/cooler got plugged in. I got changed into my traveling outfit (optimal pockets = jeans and a hoodie). And then we had to say goodbye. 

Goodbye to the room with a view. Goodbye to the beach and the birds and the laughter of beautiful souls. Goodbye to late nights chatting or watching fluid art videos (check out Olga Soby). Goodbye to all the geese and swans and ducks and the soothing tones of waves coming ashore. Goodbye to the most Burrow-like home I've ever experienced.

After hugs, tears (me), and some encouragement (them), it was time. Coco - ears up and blowing in the wind - gave us a final salute bark from the end of the driveway.

I know that we'll see our friends again. They gave us the time to consider options and just be for awhile, it felt like a blink and yet was incredibly restorative. More than time, the energy, conversation, and  belly rubs (Piper & Coco) helped me to find a way to come back from the (metaphorical) ledge. I will never truly be able to find words to express my gratitude. I used their hopes and courage as a trampoline to seek the truth of my own heart on this roadtrip.

Whether they like it or not, when this journey takes a pause, I plan to keep coming back. :)


*Except my hammock, because there was no real way to get it in the car and it was too heavy to go up on the roof rack. No, seriously, I tried.

Comments

Popular Posts