Casa Grande National Monument & Tonto National Forest

I'm basically living in a Subaru commercial right now. 

I left Tucson and headed up to Casa Grande National Monument to have my students test their wits figuing out the mystery of the first archaeological site preserved by the National Park System. The puzzle is that no one has yet to figure out why the four-story house was built sometime between 1100 and 1350AD (or CE, you choose) nor why it was, rather suddenly, abandoned later. The Hohokam (not a tribe, a name for ancient peoples/time before we know the names) peoples who lived there have at least six Sonoran Desert tribes that tie their roots to this sacred space. Yet, it is still a mystery.

Casa Grande National Monument

The windows align with the sun and moon for solstices and eqinoxes.

This doorless room reminds me so much of Gaudi art in Barcelona.

After listening to my students contemplate whether or not they were scared away by a frightening cultural sign or scorpions/spiders, I wrapped up teaching for the day and started the drive to my next national monument - Tonto National Monument. To get there, I took a twisting, turning, rock-walled route that honestly felt like riding Thunder Mountain in Disney World; except I was driving this time.

When I got to the monument, you could see the cliff dwellings from the visitor center and, in all honesty, I just didn't really feel inclined to hike up a mountain, down a mountain, and then set-up camp. So, I grabbed a map and got directions to the National Forest Visitor's center. 

Lake Roosevelt is an oasis. The beach I was planning to camp on is closed until April since it is also part of a wildlife refuge. I'd be upset, but the view from this bluff is pretty phenomenal.

Pretty sure I picked a good seat for the show - Windy Hill #324.

Channeling my inner (colorful) Ansel Adams on a walk

That's a saguaro forest on the hill and the photos cannot capture the detail in the rock faces

I'm taking some time to myself and for myself. After teaching today, I have cleaned out the car and rearranged as needed, patched the sleeping pad (because it was finally starting to feel like it had a giant hole in it), and am going to make myself a super delicious dinner in a bit. Tonight, I'll probably burn some data and watch a movie, catch up on some long-overdue blogs, or just read a book. Tomorrow, my forecast looks much the same.

I'd make a promise about posting more, but I'm just feeling the living in the moment vibe right now. Keep coming back, friends.

Comments

Popular Posts