Day 57: Shoes

These hiking boats have carried me from below sea level desert to 12,000 foot peaks and frozen lakes.

I absolutely LOVE wearing nothing on my feet and walking around in everything. Sand, soil, mud, grass, pebbles on the bottom of a creek - even snow from time to time - squishing between my toes connects me to Earth. However, sometimes you absolutely need the right shoes to make a day more functional.

Before leaving on this adventure, I purchased hiking boots to go with my hard-soled slippers, flip flops, and sneakers. I've worn shoes to protect myself from sharp rocks, slimy grimy who-knows-what, arthropods with various stinging capabilities, and slipping on ice. 

It may seem commonplace, everyday, simple to put on shoes before heading out for the day. It occurred to me though, as I've passed through thirteen of these United States, that not everyone has functional or appropriate or any shoes at all. I've needed the security of my shoes and been blessed to always have them. For today, I am most grateful for shoes.

To see other places I've propped my feet up to rest, you'll have to keep coming back.

 

Comments

Popular Posts